- West Point Park
- West Point Park Gym
- West Point Park Baseball Field
- West Point Park Softball Field
- River Bowl Stadium
- Ram Stadium
- Community Center-Tennis
- Field House
- Riverside Country Club
BARBOURVILLE, Ky. – In their fifth conference match, all tough matches, they finally got over the hump and knocked off one of their conference foes, locking up the fifth seed in the upcoming conference tournament at the same time. Tuesday, the men showed their power in a 9-0 sweep of the Union College Bulldogs in Kentucky.
All the Skyhawks took part in the winning ways in doubles quickly. On court 2, team captain Ben Markowski (El Paso, Tex – SO) and Alonso Trevizo (El Paso, Tex – FR) thrashed McLellan and Jackson 8-0 and on court 3, Daniel Blanchard (Peachtree City, Ga – FR) and Zach Sheeler (Thomasville, Ga – FR) hammered away on Moore and Souane 8-1 to quickly take a 2-0 team lead. With only slightly more difficulty, court 1 had Rafa Hewett (Lewiston, Id – FR) and Andrew Hays (Auburn, Ala – SO) taking down Molina and Mikhlin 8-3, in a great match.
The great play continued in singles for the Skyhawks against Union as they swept the Bulldogs on all six courts, losing only one set total. Blanchard and Trevizo were especially stellar in their matches giving up only a single game each.
The evening match was in Williamsburg, Kentucky against #32 ranked University of the Cumberlands. The Patriots are a perennial national power in the NAIA and came out strong, but the Skyhawk men played tough in doubles holding court two after doubles was over. Markowski and Trevizo continued their hot play as a duo and beat Mcleish and Smith 8-2.
When singles started, court 3 ended quickly in UC's favor, then the #13 player in the region Ariez Heshaam and Hewett started battling. It was close most of the first set before Heshaam pulled away winning and giving Cumberlands a 4-1 match lead. Markowski finished off Cabrera on court two 6-3, 6-0 and Blanchard got the better of Macleish 6-1, 7-5 next to pull the team a little closer at 4-3. The Patriots took the final three courts though to close out the battle and win 6-3.
The #5 seed Skyhawks will have a conference tournament match Friday morning at 11 am against #4 seed Milligan College. It will be held at Dekalb Tennis Center in Atlanta. Point is looking forward to this rematch from just this past week when the Skyhawks lost 5-4 in a close contested battle that went down to the wire. This team of first year players has been gaining confidence and experience and look to stretch their season.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 08, 2014 at Barbourville, KY – 9:30AM
POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 9, UNION COLLEGE - MEN 0
1. Rafa Hewett (POI-M) def. Luis Molina (UNI-M) 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (12-10)
2. Ben Markowski (POI-M) def. Eric Mikhlin (UNI-M) 6-7 (2-7), 6-0, 6-1
3. Zach Sheeler (POI-M) def. Jorge Jackson (UNI-M) 6-1, 6-3
4. Daniel Blanchard (POI-M) def. Jamie Mclellan (UNI-M) 6-1, 6-0
5. Andrew Hays (POI-M) def. Mic Moore (UNI-M) 6-1, 6-4
6. Alonso Trevizo (POI-M) def. Josh Souane (UNI-M) 6-1, 6-0
POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 10-9, 1-4 in AAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,2,5,6,1)
Tennis Match Results
Apr 09, 2014 at Williamsburg, KY – 5PM
#32 UNIV OF THE CUMBERLANDS - MEN 6, POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 3
1. #13 Ariez Heshaam (UCUM-M) def. Rafa Hewett (POI-M) 6-3, 6-0
2. Ben Markowski (POI-M) def. Eduardo Cabrera (UCUM-M) 6-3, 6-0
3. Danilo Garcia (UCUM-M) def. Zach Sheeler (POI-M) 6-2, 6-1
4. Daniel Blanchard (POI-M) def. Daryl Macleish (UCUM-M) 6-1, 7-5
5. Kenny Wilson (UCUM-M) def. Andrew Hays (POI-M) 6-3, 6-3
6. Dan Fraser (UCUM-M) def. Alonso Trevizo (POI-M) 6-3, 6-1
POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 10-10, 1-4 AAC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,1,2,6,4,5)