- West Point Park
- West Point Park Gym
- West Point Park Baseball Field
- West Point Park Softball Field
- River Bowl Stadium
- Ram Stadium
- Community Center-Tennis
- Field House
- Riverside Country Club
VALLEY, Ala. – Like big game hunters, the Point University men took their shots Saturday at big targets but unfortunately just came up a little short, as the Milligan College Buffaloes escaped 5-4 and later in the day the #11 Methodist University Monarchs got by them 7-2.
Against Milligan, the Skyhawks were on fire in doubles. They took a quick lead taking two of the three doubles lines with exciting wins, barely losing line one. Zach Sheeler (Thomasville, Ga – FR) and Daniel Blanchard (Peachtree City, Ga – FR) were pumping the momentum into the team early as they blasted big serves and winner after winner on Friddell and Delozier, winning fast 8-4. Sheeler turned around in singles with another superb performance whipping Delozier again to the tune of 6-3, 6-3. Despite the great start, Milligan got things turned around in singles. They won 4 of the 6 lines including a hard fought three set win at line 3 over Blanchard (13-9 for the year overall, in singles play).
Heah coach Doug Carter said, "I hate to lose matches and it hurts losing 5-4. We all hate that, it's not fun! Our guys know we're working hard and that we're right there with these teams. We have a fun group though and I'm excited about where we are in the process here at Point with Skyhawk tennis."
Against #11 ranked Methodist, all the doubles matches were hotly contested, tough 8-6 matches, problem was Point only could sneak out with one of them. Alonso Trevizo (El Paso, Tex – FR) and Ben Markowski (El Paso, Tex – SO) teamed to knock off Patterson and Dangerfield. On the singles side, the Monarchs were just too tough on this day as they won on 5 of the 6 courts. Skyhawk #1 Rafa Hewett (Lewiston, Id – FR) handled the pressure from #19 ranked Duncan Miller and continued his great singles play (15-8 on the year individually, in singles), winning 6-2, 6-4.
The Skyhawks will have a conference match Tuesday at Union College in Kentucky, and then will have the Appalachian Athletic Conference tournament this weekend at the Dekalb Tennis Center in Atlanta.
Tennis Match Results
Apr 05, 2014 at Valley, AL – 10AM
MILLIGAN COLLEGE - MEN 5, POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 4
1. Rafa Hewett (POI-M) def. Matias Yance (MILGN-M) 6-3, 6-3
2. Colin Bumann (MILGN-M) def. Ben Markowski (POI-M) 6-1, 6-0
3. Fernando Gonzalez (MILGN-M) def. Daniel Blanchard (POI-M) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
4. Jackson Lenoir (MILGN-M) def. Andrew Hays (POI-M) 6-3, 6-3
5. Zach Sheeler (POI-M) def. Alex Delozier (MILGN-M) 6-3, 6-3
6. Caleb Friddell (MILGN-M) def. Alonso Trevizo (POI-M) 6-4, 6-1
POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 9-8, 0-4 in AAC play
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,4,5,3,6)
Tennis Match Results
Apr 05, 2014 at Valley, AL – 4:30PM
#11 METHODIST UNIVERSITY - MEN 7, POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 2
1. Rafa Hewett (POI-M) def. #19 Duncan Miller (METH-M) 6-2, 6-4
2. Taylor Buchholz (METH-M) def. Ben Markowski (POI-M) 7-5, 4-6, 6-0
3. Greg Patterson (METH-M) def. Daniel Blanchard (POI-M) 7-5, 6-2
4. Dillon Sullivan (METH-M) def. Andrew Hays (POI-M) 6-1, 6-0
5. John Dangerfield (METH-M) def. Zach Sheeler (POI-M) 6-2, 6-0
6. Max Mancini (METH-M) def. Alonso Trevizo (POI-M) 6-2, 6-1
POINT UNIVERSITY - MEN 9-9, 0-4 in AAC play
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)