2017 Football
Record: 2-5 Home: 0-3 Away: 2-2 TSC: 1-2
Point News
News Photo
The Skyhawks stunned Pikeville, coming back from down 10 points in the fourth quarter to win, 34-31.
University of Pikeville
Football - Sat, Oct. 7, 2017

PIKEVILLE, Ky. – Down 10 points heading into the fourth quarter, the Point University Skyhawks (2-4; 1-1 MSC) scored 13 unanswered points in the final quarter en route to a come-from-behind victory over the host University of Pikeville Bears (3-3; 1-1 MSC), 34-31 in Saturday, Oct. 7 Mid-South Conference divisional football action on Howard Field in Pikeville, Ky.


Point won the opening coin toss and elected to receive, and on the first play from scrimmage junior quarterback Derek Bellard (Lake Charles, LA) connected with Point's all-time receiving yards and touchdowns leader, senior wide receiver Charles Ducksworth (Mt. Olive, MS) for a 58-yard touchdown strike.  Junior place kicker Thristen Jackson (Temple, GA) was good on the extra point, and the Skyhawks held the early advantage, 7-0.


Pikeville received the ensuing kickoff and began its drive from its own 23-yard line.  The Bears' offense moved the ball the length of the field, eventually tying the game with a seven-yard touchdown run by Xondre Willis, capping a 13-play drive lasting 5:41.


Each team turned the ball over on downs during its next drives, but the Skyhawks began their third drive of the game from their own 33-yard line with 4:24 remaining in the opening quarter and aimed to score.  Point would do just that eight plays later when freshman wide out Kaleb Slaughter (Tyrone, GA) elevated over his defender in the back of the end zone to bring in a 31-yard touchdown pass from Bellard with 55 seconds left in the first quarter.  Jackson was good on the extra point once again, and the Skyhawks regained the lead, 14-7.


After forcing Pikeville to punt on its next drive, Point regained possession of the football at its own 23-yard line with 13:14 in the second quarter.  The Skyhawks used seven run plays and four passing plays to move the ball 77 yards, with sophomore running back MarQuez Jackson (Lawrenceville, GA) punching the ball in from the Pikeville three-yard line with 7:31 left in the quarter to finish off the 5:43 drive.  T. Jackson was good again on the extra point, and Point held its largest lead of the contest, 21-7.


The Bears refused to go away and scored a touchdown on their next drive to shrink Point's advantage to 21-14, and after a 27-yard field-goal attempt from T. Jackson missed wide right at 2:42 in the second quarter, Pikeville was able to find the end zone once again on its final drive of the first half, scoring on a two-yard quarterback keeper by Sani Warren with just 17 seconds remaining in the half, as the teams entered intermission tied, 21-21.


Pikeville received the second-half kickoff and began its drive from its own 35-yard line.  The Bears drive lasted 5:30, and they took their first lead of the contest with 9:30 left in the third quarter on a 21-yard field goal by placekicker William Chandler, 24-21.


The Skyhawks were forced to punt after a six-play drive, and Pikeville regained possession on its own 40-yard line after a short 15-yard punt off the foot of freshman punter Jordan Bell (Jacksonville, FL) with 7:01 left in the third quarter.


The Bears moved the ball 60 yards in 7 plays, capped off by a 40-yard touchdown run from running back Willie McCloud with 3:35 remaining in the third quarter.  Chandler was successful on his extra-point attempt and Pikeville took a 31-21 lead over the Skyhawks, scoring 24 unanswered points.


After a holding penalty negated a long kick return by sophomore receiver Chase Turner (Buford, GA) into Pikeville territory, the Skyhawks offense was forced to begin its drive from their own 18-yard line.


Point's offense was able to move the ball 53 yards and into Pikeville territory, but Bellard was sacked by the Bears' defense on 1 and 10 from the Pikeville 29 yard-line, losing 11 yards back to the Pikeville 40-yard line.  Bellard completed a pass to sophomore running back Darius Blackmon (Columbus, GA) on 2 and 21, but Blackmon was unable to hold onto the ball and fumbled. The ball was recovered by Pikeville as time ran out in the third quarter and the Bears took over possession at their own 14-yard line.


Point's defense forced the Bears to punt after a seven-play, 2:57 drive, but the Skyhawks were forced to punt themselves after suffering a three-and-out, and Pikeville regained possession from Point on a punt with 10:43 left in the final quarter.


Point returned the favor by forcing Pikeville to its own three-and-out, and the Skyhawks began their second drive of the fourth quarter from its own nine-yard line with 8:1 left in the contest.


The Skyhawks moved the ball the length of the field, going 91 yards in 2:48 on nine plays, bringing the game within one score on the second touchdown reception of the game for Ducksworth, a 25-yard pass from Bellard with 5:24 left in the fourth quarter.  The extra point was no good by T. Jackson, and Point trailed Pikeville by just four points, 31-27.


Pikeville successfully received Point's short kickoff and began its drive at its own 32-yard line.  After picking up one first down and controlling the ball at its own 44-yard line, Warren fumbled on a keeper and the ball was recovered by the Skyhawks defense.


The Point offense began its possession off of the turnover at the Pikeville 46-yard line down four points with 3:30 left in the game.  The Skyhawks did not hesitate to take advantage of the late Pikeville mistake and moved the ball 46 yards in three plays, finished off with a 13-yard rushing touchdown by M. JacksonT. Jackson connected on the point after to give the Skyhawks a three-point advantage with 2:18 remaining in the fourth quarter, 34-31.


After a touchback, Pikeville began its drive at its own 25-yard line with 2:18 left in the game.  The Bears' offense picked up one first down on their drive, but on a critical 4 and 1 from their own 44-yard line, Point junior defensive tackle Dikembe Billingslea (West Point, GA) snuffed out the quarterback keeper and made a tackle-for-loss in the backfield to force a turnover on downs, giving Point's offense possession of the football at the Pikeville 44-yard line with just 1:06 left in the game.


Point was able to hold off the Bears, with Bellard using his legs to pick up a crucial first down on 4 and 2 to seal the come-from-behind Mid-South Conference divisional victory, 34-31.


Bellard had a career day, completing 21 of his 27 passing attempts for 396 yards with three passing touchdowns and no interceptions.  M. Jackson carried the ball 16 times for 72 yards and two rushing touchdowns, Turner caught a team-high six passes for 93 yards, junior wide receiver Jarquez Alexander (Valdosta, GA) finished with five receptions for 55 yards, and Ducksworth totaled five catches for 135 yards and two touchdowns.


Freshman defensive back Quan Neal (Cedartown, GA) led all Skyhawks with 11 total tackles, sophomore linebacker Jason Gartrell (Lincolnton, GA) totaled eight tackles, Billingslea had eight tackles and one sack, and senior linebacker Isaiah Ross (Dallas, GA) finished with seven tackles.  Senior linebacker K.J. Minniefield (Spanish Fort, AL) had six tackles, and freshman linebacker Kameron Weems (Griffin, GA) made three tackles and recovered a fumble.


Next Game: Coached by Julius Dixon, the Skyhawks host Mid-South Conference divisional opponent Bluefield College, at Ram Stadium in Valley, Ala. on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 1:30 p.m. Eastern time.