2017-18 Men's Lacrosse
Record: 0-0 Home: 0-0 Away: 0-0 AAC: 0-0
Point News
News Photo
Left to Right -- Attacker Chase Parker, midfielder William Collazo-Brown, midfielder Greg Wilson, and attacker Najarri Whiteh
Tennessee Wesleyan
Men's Lacrosse - Sat, Mar. 4, 2017

WEST POINT, Ga. – Point University (3-3; 1-0) defeated Tennessee Wesleyan University (1-4; 0-1), 13-12, in Saturday, March 4 Appalachian Athletic Conference collegiate men's lacrosse action at Riverbowl Stadium in West Point, Ga.  The game kicked off conference play for the Skyhawks who have six games remaining in the regular season, five of which are conference.  


The Skyhawks struck first 3:24 into the contest when attacker Najarri Whitehead (SR/Decatur, GA) threw in a goal off of an assist by midfielder Greg Wilson (SR/Augusta, GA), giving the Skyhawks an early 1-0 lead.  Point scored one more goal in the first quarter from the stick of midfielder William Collazo-Brown (JR/Baltimore, MD), but the Bulldogs kept stride with the Skyhawks by scoring two goals of their own in the first quarter, tying the game at 2-2 entering the second quarter.


Point scored three unanswered goals in the first 5:01 of the second quarter, but the Bulldogs responded with three unanswered goals of their own during the ensuing 6:02 to tie the game 5-5 with 3:57 remaining in the first half.  Point midfielder Chase Parker (FR/Lawrenceville, GA) gave Point the 6-5 lead with 3:10 left in the quarter, but TWU scored two goals within the final 2:10 of the half to take a one-goal advantage into halftime, 7-6.


The Skyhawks scored the first three goals of the second half, two coming from Parker and one from Collazo-Brown, allowing the Skyhawks to retake a two-goal advantage with 10:47 left in the third quarter, 9-7.  The Bulldogs added one more goal in the third quarter to shrink Point's lead to just one goal, but the Skyhawks took a 9-8 advantage into the final quarter.


Point scored three unanswered goals in the first 4:25 of the final quarter to increase its lead to four goals with 10:35 left in the game, but TWU rallied to tie the game, using four unanswered goals from 7:47 to 3:21.  With the game tied, Parker threw in what proved to be the game-winning goal with 2:14 remaining in the game to give the Skyhawks a one-goal lead.  TWU had a good look at a potential game-tying goal with one second left in the contest, but Wilson was able to block the shot, ensuring a Point victory in its conference opener, 13-12.


Parker finished with a career-high five goals and also added one assist, two caused turnovers, and one ground ball to round out a very impressive afternoon. Coming into the game as the NAIA's leading-goal scorer, Wilson scored one goal, recorded a team-high four assists, picked up eight ground balls, and caused one turnover.  Collazo-Brown finished the contest with three goals, two assists, four ground balls, and Whitehead contributed two goals and two ground balls.  Midfielder Joshua Pedron (FR/Palm Coast, FL) and midfielder William Burgos (SO/St. Augustine, FL) both chipped in one goal each.


Starting goalie Harry Dismukes (FR/Spanish Fort, AL) allowed 12 goals and saved seven opponent shots, and TWU's goalie Patrick DeMoss allowed 13 goals and saved 12 Point shots.  


NEXT MATCH:  Coached by Sean Feeley, Point men's lacrosse hosts Lourdes University on Thursday, March 9, at 2 p.m., at Riverbowl Stadium in West Point, Ga.